Ugly Christmas sweaters are so popular around the holidays. Many people either host parties or attend events with a fun theme. I had the opportunity to share with viewers of Daytime TV on WFLA Channel 8 how to make an easy DIY ugly Christmas sweater. It was such a pleasure working on this project with host, Leslie Nifoussi. Check out how I made these sweaters in less than 30 minutes and under $20.
Please subscribe via E-mail in the right sidebar, Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest to stay updated on the latest posts. This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I’ll earn a commission, at no additional cost to you. This only applies if you click through and make a purchase.
- Sweater in a solid color (Thrift store or your closet)
- Tinsel or garland
- Gingerbread person foam or felt shapes
- Googly eyes
- Glue gun with glue sticks or adhesive spray
- Mini Santa hats
- Cotton rounds
- Mini gift box ornaments
- Gift bows
- Pom poms
- Felt in various colors to decorate gingerbread person
- Optional: Christmas lights necklace or headband
- Start by gluing the gingerbread person shape to the center of the sweater. You can make this yourself or purchase a pack at your local craft store or Dollar Tree.
- Next, add decorations to your gingerbread person including googly eyes, pom poms, Santa hat and clothing using felt.
- Glue cotton rounds underneath the gingerbread person to represent snow. You can also use cotton balls or white felt.
- Then add gift bows on both sides of the gingerbread person to make your sweater festive.
- Finally, glue tinsels or garland on the sleeves to give your DIY ugly Christmas sweater a flashy look.
These DIY ugly Christmas sweaters were a lot of fun to make. I purchased all of the decorative items for only $1 each with many of them already at home. When creating your DIY ugly Christmas sweater, it doesn’t have to look perfect. That’s the joy of it being an ugly sweater. If you don’t plan to attend a party, have a virtual celebration with friends or family. Have a competition to see who makes the best DIY ugly Christmas sweater. The prizes can be a gift card, DIY trophy or just bragging rights. You can also have a competition with just your family. Share your looks with people online and have them vote for a winner. Get creative and have fun!
Check out this Ultimate Arts and Crafts Holiday Gift Guide for your kids.
Looking for more Christmas activities for the kids? Check out my Pinterest board or these fun holiday activities: