Making a leprechaun trap is a fun family activity that is growing popular every year. I started the tradition last year for my boys to bring some excitement at home due to the lockdown. The goal is to set up this simple leprechaun trap the night before St. Patrick’s Day. Kids will find a note from the leprechaun and some treats or small toys. It’s a great way to celebrate the holiday and create some magical moments for your little ones. All the supplies were already at my home but they can be found at your local craft store or online. Check out all the details below to create this simple leprechaun trap with your kids.
Do you love this simple leprechaun trap? Make sure to subscribe via E-mail to stay updated on the latest posts. You can also follow me on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest for more great ideas. This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I’ll earn a commission, at no additional cost to you. Furthermore, this only applies if you click through and make a purchase. Thank you for your support!
- Old Shoe Box
- Green Acrylic Paint
- Cardstock (white and gold glitter)
- Craft Sticks (5)
- Alphabet Stickers (gold)
- Glue Gun with Glue Sticks or Craft Glue
- Cotton Balls
- St. Patrick’s Day Stickers
- Rainbow Template
- Gold Plastic Coins
- Scissors or Craft Knife
- Markers or Watercolor Paint for the Rainbow
- Firstly, start by turning over the shoe box then cut a small circle close to the back of the box. See pictures below for example. This will be the “trap” for the leprechaun.
- Next, paint the shoe box green. Set aside and allow it to dry.
- Gather 5 craft sticks to make the ladder. Cut three in half for the steps. However, we used mini craft sticks instead of cutting the regular sticks in half. Glue them to the larger craft sticks.
- Print and cut the rainbow template. Choose the type you prefer. Kids can either use paint or markers to color rainbow.
- Once paint is completely dry, decorate the sides of the box with St. Patrick’s Day stickers.
- Glue the rainbow in front of hole in the shoe box. Then glue cotton balls to form the clouds.
- Gather the gold coins then glue a trail from the rainbow to the edge of the shoe box.
- Create a free gold sign using white cardstock and stickers. Glue it to a craft stick and attach to the front of the shoe box. See picture below for example.
- Finally, place ladder in front of shoe box to complete this leprechaun trap.
This simple leprechaun trap was featured on Great Day Live Tampa Bay. I had the pleasure of showing viewers how to create this cool project with their kids. Host, Java also joined in on the fun by creating her version of this leprechaun trap. Check out the clip of my segment that was featured on the show. Use this trap as a guide to make your own especially if you don’t have all the supplies. This activity is all about creating memories with your kids. Don’t make it stressful! Play some music, dance and craft with your children.
Looking for more fun ideas for kids to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day? You may also like the following activities: