Memorial Day is coming up and I wanted to find a way my boys could honor the military members who died while serving our country. We can enjoy having family picnics, shopping or barbecues but we should also remember the true meaning of the holiday. Making this magazine mosaic American flag is a simple way to teach kids about Memorial Day without overwhelming them with discussions of death.
Love this American flag craft? Make sure to subscribe via E-mail to stay updated on the latest posts. Also, follow me on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest for more amazing content. This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I’ll earn a commission, at no additional cost to you. This only applies if you click through and make a purchase. Thank you for your support!
Gather a recycled cardboard and old magazines then start crafting with your kids. This easy patriotic flag craft will make the perfect decoration in your home to honor the fallen military members. You only need a few supplies for this magazine mosaic American flag and it can be adjusted based on your child’s skills.
Supplies for Magazine Mosaic American Flag
- Old magazines (red, white and blue pages)
- Recycled cardboard (rectangle)
- White paint
- Foam brush
- Glue or glue stick
- Tape (optional)
- First, cut the recycled cardboard into a rectangle to represent the flag.
- Next, paint the cardboard white then allow it to dry.
- Cut red, white and blue areas from an old magazine into small squares. This is a great opportunity for small children to practice their scissor skills. If your little one is not ready for this stage, allow them to tear the magazine papers.
- Apply glue to the top left corner of the cardboard and press blue squares onto it.
- Create the stripes with red and white squares.
- Finally, glue or tape a ribbon to the back of the magazine mosaic American flag.
We enjoyed creating magazine mosaic American flags and discussing Memorial Day. This simple craft was also featured on Great Day Live Tampa Bay. I had the pleasure of showing viewers how to create this patriotic project with their kids. Host, Java also joined in on the fun by creating this magazine mosaic American flag. Check out the clip of my segment that was featured on the show.
Looking for some fun summer crafts or activities for kids? Check out these adorable art projects and fun activities: