Does your child enjoy creating heart crafts? I have an easy art project that is also a lot of fun to make. This scrape painting Valentine’s Day heart is a beautiful abstract craft that only requires a few supplies. You probably have everything at home. Kids can create garlands, cards and other gifts for their loved ones or friends with these hearts.
Want to see more Valentine’s Day crafts? Make sure to subscribe via E-mail to stay updated on the latest posts. Also, you can follow me on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest for more amazing content. This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I’ll earn a commission, at no additional cost to you. This only applies if you click through and make a purchase. Thank you for your support!
Supplies for Scrape Painting Valentine’s Day Heart
- Paint (Valentine’s Day colors)
- Recycled cardboard (cut into squares)
- Cricut (optional)
- White Cardstock
- Heart template
- Butcher paper, tray, old blanket or plastic tablecloth
- If you have a Cricut, find a heart image then cut. However, you can also print and cut out the free heart template. See supplies to get the template.
- Next, add a few drops of paint all over the paper heart.
- Finally, take the cardboard and scrape it across the heart. Start at the top and move downward. Now move in a different direction. Try not to scrape the heart more than 3 times. Set aside to dry. You can view my mini tutorial on YouTube shorts.
We made a scrape painting for Easter so I thought it would fun to make for Valentine’s Day. This painting technique allows your child to turn their art project into a one-of-a-kind masterpiece. I think of all of our hearts turned out great!
This activity can get a little messy so be prepared. Make sure to put butcher paper, tray, old blanket or plastic tablecloth on the table before starting. I also suggest keeping wipes nearby in case your child doesn’t like paint on their hands.
Looking for more Valentine’s Day art projects for your little ones? Visit my Pinterest board or check out these fun activities:
Valentine’s Day White Chocolate Bark
DIY Valentine’s Day Sensory Bottle
5 Easy Valentine’s Day Crafts for Kids
Valentine Sensory Tray with Water Beads
Craft Stick Valentine Picture Frame
View my 2021 Valentine’s Day segment on Great Day Live website.