It’s the most wonderful time of the year! This holiday season I encourage you to support small businesses. Whether you’re out looking for one of kind gifts, or dining out with friends and family, you can make a big impact in your community by shopping small. I have compiled a list of the top 5 ways to support small businesses. There’s also information featuring local shops in the Tampa Bay area.
1. Buy gift cards
Gift cards are a great way to support small businesses! Giving them as gifts to friends or family is an awesome way to introduce your favorite coffee shop, restaurant or retailer. Some businesses also offer the option to purchase gift cards online so you can email them to loved ones who live in a different location. Gift cards are also perfect for teachers or other community helpers.
2. Shop local
When you shop local this holiday season it helps create more jobs in your community and support entrepreneurs in your area. You can pick up gifts from their brick and mortar location or place an order online. I love shopping local because you get to know the owners and support their business.
3. Leave a positive review online
Posting a positive review online is a simple and wonderful way to support small businesses. The holiday season is a time when people are looking for new products and services for family and friends. Make sure to include pictures when leaving your review so people know what to expect. If the small business has a social media page, write and share a review there. You can also share their page with other people.
4. Shop early
Shopping early helps give small business owners the chance to fulfill orders in a timely manner especially if the item is handmade. You will also find items in shops while they are still available.
5. Be Kind
Please support small businesses not only by spending money but also with kindness and patience. This time of the year can get a little crazy. Having a positive attitude and being respectful when interacting with business owners and their staff can make everyone’s holiday season so much better. I know it can be frustrating when an item is out of stock or shipping is taking longer than expected. However, try to be a bit more understanding because the holiday season is overwhelming for everyone.
Here’s a list of small businesses in the Tampa Bay area that you can support this holiday season:
- JL Fun Colorz – These custom crayons made by Kidpreneurs Jordan and Joshua make the perfect personalized presents for kids.
- Little Play Place – Indoor play space providing imaginative play, fun and learning to develop young minds. They also have a party rental space.
- Nomadic Fete Art – Provides art kits.
- All Good Things Gifts – Modern gift shop offering custom gifts as well as local love.
- Wee Macree – Every purchase of a Wee Macree shirt gives back 40% of profits directly to our selected charitable partner organizations.
- Local Mom Box – Subscription box with items from local businesses as well as crafts for kids.
- Abbicreates Studio – A shop that provides merchandise catered to the empowered female and her mini’s! There’s a large range of trendy designs hand drawn by Abbi.
- DeKelis Art Studio – Provides colorful, abstract art including prints, apparel, stationery and more.
- Gaspar Stitch – Provides embroidery services for businesses including hats, shirts and more.
- Sapphire Lagoon Charcuterie – Charcuterie boards and boxes that are elegantly stacked with cured meats, cheeses, crackers, fruits, nuts, sweet treats and more.
- The Candle Pour – A custom candle-making experience that allows you to create your own candle from your choice of over 100 different fragrance oils.
- D. Nicole Beauty – Specializing in all skin tones, types, and textures for makeup, skin care and nail design.
- Maeberry Co – This shop offers the newest trends in baby apparel, accessories, and gifts.
- Picnic Ave – Curates customized picnics for birthdays, date night, proposal, bridal shower, baby shower and more.
- MKM Custom Designs – Provides a variety of t-shirt printing methods for your athletic wear, organization and more.
- Riccardo’s Menswear – Provides contemporary classic menswear including ties, shoes and apparel.
- Clean Your Dirty Face – They provide 30-minute facials performed and guided by licensed estheticians.
- Cultured Books – This children’s pop-up bookstore promotes self-love by highlighting Black joy narratives and books that represent different cultural backgrounds. They also host story times, book clubs and community events.
- Beauty Bliss Studio & Academy – Specializes in natural looking permanent makeup.
Check out the Tampa Bay Black Excellence directory for more businesses to support.
Looking for more Christmas crafts or ways to spend quality time with your family? Visit my Pinterest board as well as these fun holiday activities: